Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Yahara is getting better

I've been watching the gage height, discharge rate, and velocity of the Yahara, and yesterday it was finally looking good enough to try fishing again. It was definitely a lot better, there wasn't as much debris, but the visibility still wasn't very good. I tried using a small crankbait that my brother gave me for my birthday, but no bites. I suspect the visibility was to blame. I brought worms too, so I used them for the rest of the day.

I caught a LOT of fish, but unfortunately they were almost all bluegill. How many bluegill is a lot? How about 55? Yeah... I'd rather not catch another bluegill the rest of the year. I also caught 8 pumpkinseeds, 1 rock bass, 1 little smallmouth, a 9.5" drum, and also my first green sunfish of the year. All of the non-bluegill and non-pumpkinseed fish were caught where the Yahara opens up into the Monona. I'll definitely spend more of my time down there next time I go. It seems like a good spot to catch a lot of species.

Overall not a bad day, but the largest fish I caught was the drum, so I went home a little dissapointed. I was fishing without a bobber most of the time, letting my worm go to the bottom with a sinker. I was surprised that I was catching so many bluegill off the bottom.







2 comments:

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

wow..great fish dude!!...someday i want fishing with you..yesterday i catch haruan fish ( Channa striatus)

Ben said...

Nice fish! It would be really exciting to catch one of those.