Sunday, July 6, 2008

Back to the Yahara

Went back to the Yaraha (connecting Mendota and Monona) to give it another try. It was a success! Bluegill, largemouth, and rock bass were all biting, as well as a crappie that came off my hook as I was pulling him out of the water. I believe this is the first time I've ever caught rock bass, and I ended up with three! The bluegill I was catching were very colorful. You can see the poor guy in the second picture that I hooked with all 3 hooks. Caught 3 largemouths, with the largest being 11 inches. Mosquitos were terrible...







4 comments:

Jeff Douglas said...

Sounds fun. I like rock bass, they are spunky little guys that usually hit hard. It looks like you are having some success on the Yahara.
That's a good idea to fish it, I don't think I ever did in my Madison days. Wow, your blog makes me miss Madison!

Ben said...

Jeff didn't you say you come up here several times a year?

I caught the first two rock bass by reeling in my spinner like usual, and then when I got to the big rocks lining the bank I would let it drop down past the lip of a big rock. The bass would come darting out to grab it.

Jeff Douglas said...

It is probably more like once or twice a year these days, and might have been 3 times a year for the first few years after I returned to Champaign. I'd like to visit Madison more, it's my favorite city in the midwest.

Ben said...

I think it had better include some fishing next time you're up.