Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fishing on my birthday, more PR's!

I fished the shore of Lake Monona along John Nolan Dr. today, south of Monona Terrace. It's an excellent place to catch all sorts of fish with all the big rocks along shore and relatively few weeds. I had three worms with me, and I was determined to make the most of them. The bluegill were hitting hard, and I managed to stretch 3 worms among 27 of them! I measured one of the biggest ones, he was 8 inches.


That's not all I was catching on the worms though. Next up was a 7.5 inch rock bass and a 9.5 inch smallmouth (PR).





But that wasn't all that was going after the worms! I also got a 16 inch largemouth to hit a tiny piece of a worm. I was definitely entertained. :)
.

Once I ran out of worms I switched to a medium sized spinner and the smallmouths started hitting again. I caught three in a row that were 9.5, 7.5, and 11 inches (PR) respectively.


At this point, I felt like the smallmouth bug had bit me. Jeff would be beaming at this for sure. Largemouths were a thing of the past, because these guys were so much more fun. Not so fast though, because the next fish that hit my spinner wasn't a smallmouth! It was a monster largemouth, and it was the first time that a fish pulled line out of my reel while I was fighting him. I got him into shallow water and got my thum in his mouth as quick as I could. He bit hard! I got him up in the grass and measured him. 19.5 inches, a new PR! I'm guessing he was a solid 5 lbs, definitely the bass of the summer.




10 comments:

Jeff Douglas said...

You're having a great summer of fishing! That's a huge largemouth. It seems like every trip you're setting largemouth PRs. Just wait until you hook an 18 inch smallie, then you'll have the bug for sure.

That's a spot I always meant to fish but never did. Monona Terrace was in the final stages of being built when I moved to Madison, so I missed out on the Law Park shorefishing. From what I understand, it was built over an absolutely terrific spot that quickly drops off to 30 feet not far from shore. It was a very popular spot. I guess the Terrace provides a sanctuary for fish, and I recall boats are prohibited from getting too close to it. You must have been just to the side of it somewhere.

It's amazing how consistently you're having nice catches. When I was there, Mendota was considered the lake for monster smallies, and Monona was the place to go for largemouths, though both lakes supported a nice population of both. They are amazing lakes. Also, Waubesa is a good one. There used to be a place where you could rent a fishing boat there rather cheaply, and then you could go up in the Yahara between Waubesa and Monona, avoiding Mud Lake, and the river is full of largemouths in that area.

Ben said...

I would absolutely love to catch an 18 inch smallie. I'd proabably get a 22 inch largemouth on my next cast though! :)

Ben said...

If you asked me what my secret has been this summer, I would say it's been impatience. If I've been fishing a spot for 5 minutes without a bite, I move on. With bobber fishing, if I don't get a bite within 10 seconds, I reel it in and cast to a new spot. There's no point in sitting there waiting for a fish to show up. I'm always amazed at the locals that sit in the same spot in their camp chairs, waiting for something to happen to their bobber. I'll come back an hour later and they're in the same spot! The fish aren't there!!!! I'm also amazed at how people congregate on concrete platforms, piers, docks, and spots next to parking lots. Are fish attracted to concrete platforms? No! Did the city planners put parking lots next to the best fishing holes? Not likely, lol. If you want to catch fish, you have to get off your butt and go find them, and they're probably all hanging out in the hardest to reach spots, because that's where all the cover is.

Jeff Douglas said...

There's certainly nothing wrong with largemouths. I'd love to catch one like you did yesterday. You're making me want to move back to Madison. It's amazing the number of great spots just within Dane county, let alone all the hundreds of miles of Wisconsin River. Heck, you could even easily drive out to Cross Plains or Black Earth within 20 minutes and be fishing Black Earth Creek for rainbow trout and brown trout. I used to catch them in a tiny tributary of Black Earth Creek that went through my backyard, the only place I ever caught a trout.

Jeff Douglas said...

I agree with your comments about impatience. You have so many miles to fish, there's no reason to abide poor fishing packed in with dozens of others.

Dana Nichols said...

Nice fish Ben, and happy birthday. What day? My daughters both have July birthdays. Lindsay is the 15th, and Jessica is the 24th.

Ben said...

Thanks Dana! Mine's the 24th too. :)

Dana Nichols said...

WOW, that cool.

Jessica, my oldest turned 20...you're 22, right?

Dang, It seems like I should be old, but I don't feel like it.

Ben said...

Haha, good job keeping her away from all of us strapping young powerlifting guys. I'm 23 now.

Dana Nichols said...

Both my girls date pretty good guys. A powerlifter wouldn't be a bad choice. Have a good weekend!