Monday, July 14, 2008

Is there a sport for snapping turtle fishing?

My fishing yesterday wasn't spectacular, but I did come home with an interesting story. I caught a few largemouth and bluegill throughout the afternoon. As the sun was going down I headed over to the bridge where the lagoon in Vilas Park starts. I was hoping to catch my first carp, using pieces of a peanut butter sandwich rolled up into a ball as bait. There were 4 or 5 big carp swimming around the area, but I couldn't get any of them to take an interest in the bait. I saw something else moving towards my bait though, a big snapping turtle! He was probably 2 feet long! I should have pulled my bait out of the water at that point, but I couldn't help but sit there and stare. He headed straight to my bait and bit on to it. I hooked him, ran to the end of the bridge, and pulled him in to shore. The funny thing was, he didn't fight me, he actually swam towards me! I wasn't sure what to do at that point. I didn't want to put my hands anywhere near that mouth, but I definitely didn't want to leave a treble hook in there either. I shook the line back and forth a couple times (while carefully watching my toes), and luckily the hook came out. He swam back out in front of the bridge and proceeded to clean up all the pieces of sandwhich that came off my hook earlier. Guess it the ordeal didn't bother him that much, lol.

I was a little disappointed that the carp never went for my pb sandwich. They were swimming around together in a pretty tight pack. Maybe they were spawning or something?

2 comments:

Jeff Douglas said...

sounds like an adventure!

Dana Nichols said...

You can clean it and eat it. I remember eating snapping turtle when I was a kid.