Sunday, July 20, 2008

PR largemouth, PR bluegill, not what I was expecting!

I've had a relaxed weekend, so I went out to picnic point again today to see if I could do better than yesterday. I went out to the same spot, but the wind (and therefore current?) had changed direction. The water was really choppy and the waves were bringing my bobber right back to shore. I caught 3 perch within an hour or so, but was not having much fun. I walked back in the direction of the mainland, keeping an eye out for a good spot to fish on the south side. The water was as calm as could be on that side, and the visibility was excellent. I found a small opening in the trees and set up shop. I immediately started catching bluegill, and all of them were huge! The biggest was a PR at 9 inches. Then the fishing died down for a while. Were those the only fish in there? Noooope, because on one of my next casts, the bobber dove under water like a bowling ball was attached to my line. This wasn't a bluegill! I fought him for at least a minute, it was an 18" largemouth. Another PR! I caught a 12.5" largemouth on the very next cast, and another perch after that. Not bad. :)









4 comments:

Jeff Douglas said...

Those are some fat gills! Nice bass too! You da Madison shorefishing man!

Dana Nichols said...

Nice PRs!

Ben said...

I've been really lucky to catch progressively bigger and bigger bass this sumemr. My PR's have been 14", 16", 17", and 18" (in that order). It wouldn't have been near as fun to catch them in the opposite order.

And Jeff, I don't have a clue how to fish from a boat anyway!

Jeff Douglas said...

Who needs a boat? You're doing just fine from the shore.