Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Monona Bay

Went fishing along Monona Bay last night for the first time. I started off with a medium sized spinner but couldn't get a bite. I saw a few small bluegill swimming away from shore as I walked along; I figured I could catch some of them so that I wouldn't get skunked. I put the ultra light spinner on and pulled in a monster, a 3 1/2" bluegill. I thought I had the world record for smallest bluegill, but 10 minutes later I caught one that was 3 1/4"! I got a laugh out of that. I walked to the north side of the bay where the water looked deeper and switched to a rapala type minnow. I made sure to crank it extra fast at the beginning to make it dive down deep. I thought maybe the fish were all hanging out in deeper water and that's why the spinners weren't working. Sure enough I got a hit and reeled in a 12 to 15" largemouth. As I pulled it out of the water though, the knot came undone on my lure and the fish dropped back in the water and got away. I felt really embarrassed. I've been fishing for how long, and I can't even tie a fishing knot correctly? I felt really bad too that the fish had that big lure stuck in its mouth. I put a new lure on, and when I went to cast, something caught my eye floating about 50' out. My other lure! It must have come unhooked somehow. I spent the next 15 minutes trying to get it with my 2nd lure, and got it eventually. On the next cast I got another largemouth but it came off the hook right when it got to the surface. At least my lure stayed on though!

No comments: