Monday, June 30, 2008

The bass were biting and I brought my camera!

I decided that whenever I go fishing from now on, I must bring my camera. Taking pictures of the fish you catch is just as much fun as catching them! I admit, I went a little overboard tonight, taking pictures of even the smallest bluegill. The first 4 pictures are the star of the evening: a 16 inch largemouth that I caught on my first cast. All the other pictures are different fish, there aren't 2 pictures of the same fish. I ended up with 8 more largemouth, a few bluegill, and I finished the night with a nice little pumpkinseed.













6 comments:

Jeff Douglas said...

Nice 16" bass! I can't identify where it was caught, though it looks like you caught some of the smaller ones in Wingra Creek.

Ben said...

I caught him by the stone bridge at the west end of Vilas Park. While I was down there I noticed that there is a plastic fence separating the lagoon in Vilas Park from the rest of Lake Wingra. I wonder if they did that to keep the big carp inside the lagoon? I guess that means that none of the big pike or musky in Wingra will ever be in the lagoon.

Jeff Douglas said...

Oh, that makes sense. That spot always looked kind of bassy, with some reeds and lily pads off to the right of the bridge.

I hope they do keep the stinking carp out of Wingra. It's a great little musky lake. Mendota is packed with enormous carp, and even though it is a great smallmouth bass lake, it seems like the carp must disrupt spawning for the bass.

I'm going fishing with Blake and Tim tomorrow. Maybe we'll have some photos to share. I know Tim carries a camera.

T. Brook Smith said...

Hey Ben.

That's a nice shot of a pumpkinseed. Be sure Jeff notices it. :)

Jeff Douglas said...

OK Tim, don't be dissin' me for my inability to tell a long ear from a pumpkinseed. :)

Ben said...

lol

On that note, are those actually bluegill that I'm holding in the first pic from the post titled "Old Fishing Pics"? Do they get that coloring at a particular time of year?