Sunday, June 1, 2008

Long day, but I'll take it

Yesterday I exlpored Wingra Creek from its start at Lake Wingra all the way to its end at Lake Monona. It turned into quite a long day! I was probably out there 5 hours at least. It was a gorgeous day but the fish weren't really biting. Too sunny perhaps? I made sure to hit all the shady spots but still nothing. I didn't see anyone else catch a single fish the whole day so I don't think it was my poor fishing skills that were to blame.

I was switching between the gummy bear fish (see last post), the little spinner, and the crankbait minnow, hoping that one of them would work. Finally, down by Fish Hatchery Road I got a bite on the gummy bear fish. I pulled in an 18 inch northern, which is the first that I've caught in years. It couldn't have been more than a lb but it made my day nonetheless. Considering that I didn't see a single fish among all the other fishermen, I'm declaring myself the champion of the day.

I finished up around dusk back at Wingra and caught a few bluegill with the spinner.

Next I'd like to try some live bait. I remember catching all sorts of fish with leaches when I went to Canada years and years ago. I also want to get a fishing scale to keep in my tackle box.

No comments: