Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lake Wingra's dam

The platform at the dam between Lake Wingra and Wingra creek is usually really crowded, but yesterday there was only one guy there with his gf. I got a good number of bluegill on both sides, the largest of which was 8". Don't worry Jeff, I lined up the tape measure with the tip of his head this time. He wasn't quite as meaty as the one I caught in Champaign though. I also caught two small largemouths (maybe 10" each).

I got talking to the other guy there and he recommended a good spot on Mendota to catch catfish. It's somewhere up by the Eagle Height's apartments, where he said he caught a couple 5 or 6 lb cats using worms.

1 comment:

Jeff Douglas said...

Nice fish. That Wingra dam was always too crowded for me. There is a nice spot where you can access Mendota near Eagle Heights near Second Point, the point west of Picnic Point. Maybe that's where he means. When you go too far west the shoreline is all privately owned. Have you made it out to the Wisconsin River yet?

I pulled a play out of the Ben Cantrell playbook today and fished an urban pond with some success in a very short time.