Saturday, August 2, 2008

First time using rubber worm

I left the live bait at home last night to make sure that I could still catch fish with artificial lures. For the first half of the night I used a small crankbait that my brother gave me. I caught one largemouth with it, and then I had this little guy go after it. I suspect that he was attacking it for going through his territory, because there's no way that lure could be food, it wouldn't fit in his mouth! Tim, is this another hybrid sunfish? Pumpkinseed and green sunfish maybe? Sorry I didn't get a shot of his whole body.



I've never used a rubber worm before, because I never knew how to use them. I decided to be a man and give them a try anyway. By the way, I was fishing in Wingra Creek. The spots I was fishing were ideal for trying out the worm because they were too weedy to use any other lures. I tossed the worm over to the other side of the creek and let it fall down without a weight. I felt a few taps and then a good tug. Success on my first cast! I caught 4 largemouths that way, including the guy in the picture below. He was definitely hungry. :) I also had a couple hits where I didn't set the hook. It seems I need a little more practice on that.

3 comments:

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

wooo..what a great fish..i also never use soft plastic because it hard to find around labuan..but someday i will try it like you ..

Jeff Douglas said...

Good job with the plastic worm!

Izzy said...

Worms are great for large mouth bass, especially here in Texas. Watermelon redflake is a favorite of mine!