Saturday, September 6, 2008

A successful Saturday!

The weather was great today and I had no desire to sit around and watch football like everyone else in Madison. I'll take a day at the Yahara over TV any day. :) One of the first fish I caught was a 9 inch perch, which I brought home. It was actually the first time I've eaten perch. I got two small but decent filets from it, and fried them up in butter with three cheese bread crumbs. It was incredible. I'm going to get hungry any time I see a perch in the future!





I also caught a PR rock bass, at 7 3/4 inches. I know that's not very big, but I was pretty happy with it. I also caught plenty of bluegill, pumpkinseed, and green sunfish.



I couldn't stop thinking about those darters that I tried to put in my aquarium the other day. I was determined to try again, so I went to the same spot and put on my smallest hook. It took a while, but I managed to catch two more of them. One was pretty small and the other was the biggest I've seen. I took them home and slowly added water from the aquarium to the bucket they were in. The little one wasn't doing well and went belly up. The big one seemed to be ok, so after 15 minutes of slowly adding water, I put him in the aquarium. He was breathing rapidly for quite a while and I thought I would lose him like the other ones, but he calmed down and began to swim around the tank and respond to the other fish. He's been in there several hours now and is doing just fine.



Bonus points if you notice the other two new fish in the tank. Unfortunately they will have to be temporary because they'll definitely get too big.

4 comments:

Fish Whisperer said...

Looks like a nice day fishing. I like your blog and am adding you to my blog roll. I will check in regularly.
Cheers

Ben said...

Thanks! I can't even imagine what it's like to catch the fish that you do. That's a completely different world from what I'm used to. Great article on photography too btw!

Update: I moved all the minnows to a 10 gallon tank. The sunfish have only taken a modest interest in the worms I drop in. I suspect they've been eating minnows because there seem to be fewer in there every day. Now I can add minnows selectively to the tank and see if that is indeed the case.

The logperch is doing fine. He freaks out if the overhead light is on, so it's staying off from now on. The green sunfish are a lot more active with the light off too.

Jeff Douglas said...

That was a fat little perch. You'll get a taste for them and be out on the ice all winter chasing them.

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

yummy..that fried fish make me hungry..nice work Ben!chayoo..!