Sunday, February 15, 2009

Monona on Friday, Winnebago on Sunday

Went out on Monona on Friday and caught my limit of bluegill. My friend Chuck joined me for the afternoon and we enjoyed some awesome Mountain Creek's, a very cheap, yet surprisingly drinkable Wisconsin beer.



Today Chuck and I drove up to Lake Winnebago and tried jigging on a spot just out from Oshkosh. We caught a good number of perch - the only problem was that most of them were between 3 and 4 inches! However, we were quite entertained and had a good time. I also caught a pumpkinseed that was very colorful. He and one of the 4" perch have joined my aquarium.



On the drive back we stopped by the place where the sturgeon are registered. They're speared through a hole in the ice, which is why they look pretty beat up. They were really impressive fish though, and I was glad I got to see some for the first time.


6 comments:

Jeff Douglas said...

That looks like a great weekend. It must have been fun to visit the enormous Lake Winnebago. I remember one year the newspaper reported that police were cracking down on a few prostitutes who would go shack to shack trying to do business with bored sturgeon spearers.

spotted face said...

Mountain Creek! thanks for the beer tip - I'll check them out.

Ben said...

Thanks for the posts wandering owl. Keep in mind though that Mountain Creek is only being recommend as an ice fishing beer. There are much better beers out there to drink when you're relaxing at home or out at the bar with the guys. Cheers!

T. Brook Smith said...

Nice job, Ben.

I am ashamed to admit that I waited too long to pull the trigger and our ice is GONE here in Illinois. I've lost my chance.

Glad you're enjoying yourself up there on the "frozen tundra".

Ben said...

Thanks Tim. I'm looking forward to warmer weather just as much as anyone else, but I'm really glad that I've had ice fishing to keep me busy. Besides, you guys need blog posts to read!

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

woooo....superb nice catch Ben...bravo!!