Monday, May 17, 2010

New Beginnings

Hi guys,

It has been a long time since I've posted. Yes, I'm still alive. And yes, I've been keeping up with your fishing blogs (for those of you on my blog list). It's been fun to read about all of your adventures!

I have good news on multiple fronts. First of all, I finished my long overdue master's degree and have begun work on my PhD. I had to give up pretty much all my hobbies during the last few months, but now I should have a bit more free time, at least on weekends, to get out and do some fishing. The other good news is that my back has been slowly but steadily improving. I've stopped taking pain killers all together. I do stability exercises every day and use a foam roller to keep my back and legs loose in order to keep the tension off my lower back. My replacement for ibuprofin is raw ginger root. If you have problems with inflammation, give it a try. Your mouth and throat will feel like they're on fire, but it really helps.

Yesterday I made it out on my first fishing trip of the season. I traveled over to Milwaukee and went out on Lake Michigan with Terry. We trolled for salmon and trout, but didn't get any hits. It was still a great day nonetheless. I meant to take pictures, but my camera battery was dead right off the bat.

More posts to come soon!

Ben

9 comments:

Fish Whisperer said...

Congrats on the masters and welcome back to the fishing world. Glad to hear the back is getting better.
Tight lines

Mark Kautz said...

Hey Ben. Congratulations on your Masters. Glad your back is better. Ibuprofin really isn't good for your stomach. My wife had a lot of problems when she was taking it for her back. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done with her's unless she does surgery. That's just not going to happen. She gets by with a little pain and some med's from the doc to help. Good to see you back in print.

Mark

Othmar Vohringer said...

Great to see you back on the blog. Congratulations to your master's degree and I look forward to read more on your blog about fishing. Here the winter finally retreated and we can get the boats out.

-ov-

Wolfy said...

Glad to see you back.

Shouldn't you be reading and writing "smart" blogs if you're now a PhD candidate? Now I'll feel like an idiot when I write "Went out to the ponds, caught 2 crappies, and saw a snake"

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

welcome back Ben's !

"Sung" said...

Congratulations! I defended my dissertation, too. Wow, starting Ph.D. program without a break? Good luck to you! Ugh, honestly I don't want to look back my Ph.D. student years. I hope you enjoy your short "fishing" break. Cheers, Sung.

"Sung" said...

Congratulations! I left a comment before, but somehow it didn't go through. Anyway, I am glad to hear that you finished your thesis. Wow, you are starting Ph.D. program without a break! Good luck with that! Actually, from my experience, I know that Ph.D students have more flexible time to manage. Not so sure about engineering school, though. Work hard and fish hard! Cheers, Sung.

Philip Lelle said...

If your looking for a great spot to hit on, check out Fort Myers, Florida. I started a charter down here called Catching the Cure, I donate money from the charter cost to finding a cure to Multiple Myeloma... Either way, they're hitting hard down here. Check out some of my pics. Snook, Reds, Shark, you name it, were catching it. Fort Myers Fishing Charters

Jeff Douglas said...

You need more fishing and less researching :)