Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ice fishing at the triangle

Chuck and I took the shanty out to the triangle on Monona this morning for some pre-Christmas ice fishing. We joined the already sizable village of ice shacks around 7am, and had our jigs in the water by the time it started getting light. Visablity was pretty good, probably about 6 or 7 feet. The fishing started out slow, but eventually Chuck began to catch a few. None for me, but that was ok, I was sure they'd come eventually. Chuck kept catching them - more and more were being added to the bucket to take home. Still none for me! I was starting to get worried, but around 9am I caught my first fish, a small one. I didn't want to make a big deal about it, but I was pretty excited, considering that Sept. 6th was the last time I caught a fish. A few minutes later I caught another, this one was pretty big at 7 1/2 inches. It ended up being our last fish, we packed up around 10am, satisfied with our catch. Fried bluegill for lunch, good stuff. :)



8 comments:

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

nice catch to chuck and you...it better than don't catch any fish.

Wolfy said...

Bluegills thru the ice are one of my favorites. I'll try to get out over the holidays.

Socked in with an ice storm right now

Wolfy

Jeff Douglas said...

Looks like a nice lunch!

T. Brook Smith said...

Nice trip, Ben. Ice bluegills are a ton of fun

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

happy new year 2010 Ben! wish a great catch in 2010

Jeff Douglas said...

I got out fishing at your uncle's pond a couple days ago. We had a hard time finding the fish, but Phil caught 1 bluegill that I brought home for Tien to cook. Jackie ate the eyeballs, which startled me a bit, but Tien claims they are a delicacy to Vietnamese. I vowed to go out and catch my little girl 24 more eyeballs.

Ben said...

Bluegill eyeballs, yikes. I'll have to try that, haha. Last winter we breaded and fried perch eggs. They're pretty good.

"Sung" said...

Hi, Ben,
It was my first time visit to your blog, which I found during random blog surfing. I was surprised because you and I share very similar interest in fishing! I mean fishing for diverse species and fishing for taste. :-) I am a graduate student, too. I subscribed your blog already. I live in NY. It has been cold here, but not yet for ice fishing. Good luck on your fishing and study.
-Sung.