Thursday, March 26, 2009

Brook Stickleback

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I have a 10 gallon aquarium stocked with minnows from the bait shop that I use to feed the sunfish and smallies in my 30 gallon aquarium. The number of minnows has been dwindling down, and yesterday I found a surprise visitor to my tank, a brook stickleback! I've never seen one before, but I'm 99% sure that's what it is. I can clearly see the 5 spines on it's back. Sorry for the crappy photo, but it's the best I could do with such a small fish that insisted on staying at the back of the tank.



I took a short video too. The stickleback has some interesting behavior. He has to furiously move his pectoral pins to swim around, and tends to stay on the bottom like a darter when he's resting. I have no idea how to care for it; I'm really hoping he'll eat goldfish food.

3 comments:

Basspastor said...

I know a place here in MN where I can catch sticklebacks by the dozens. Getting sticklebacks in your minnows is a common occurance here in MN. I can't say that I've ever had much luck with them for bait, but I have read that on certain lakes a stickleback will catch the fire out of em'.

spotted face said...

I've had the luck of grabbing minnows out of the bucket and grab a stickleback. Ow!

Ben said...

Well... no more sticklebacks for now. The one from the bait shop was looking sickly for a few days and then got some white fuz on him so I flushed him. The healthy one from the creek was harassing all the other fish, nipping at their fins, so finally I tossed him in the big aquarium to teach him a lesson. He's learning that lesson in the belly of a smallmouth bass, lol.