Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Can't do work, gotta fish

Our linux server at work was down yesterday, which I depend on for my research. I knew it wouldn't be up and running this morning so I went fishing instead. I hiked out to the end of picnic point and had my line in the water by 7am. Feeling lazy, I stuck with nightcrawlers and a bobber, hoping to catch a few fish to bring home. My first cast got a hit and I pulled in an 8" perch. It was pretty fat and went into the bucket. After that... nothing. I switched spots, and after not getting hits there either I began reeling in my line. However, I saw a drum following my bait in towards shore, so I slowed down to let him grab it. That made for an easy catch. At 14", he was a PR for me. After that things really slowed down. At one point a school of small perch came through. I caught 4 or 5, but they were all too small to keep.





When I got home I filleted the drum and perch for lunch. I breaded the fillets with a mixture of Progresso parmesean bread crumbs, extra spicy Mrs. Dash, and garlic powder, and fried them in olive oil. The drum was pretty good, but when I got to the perch - oh man! It was really really good, I'll have to try to duplicate that recipe next time I catch perch.

5 comments:

spotted face said...

Yellow perch is way good eating! I wish there were more of them around my neck of the woods.

Anonymous said...

Ben - I am a fan of catching and filleting some Perch also. Not a lot of big ones in my area of Idaho, but, yum there good eating.

MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

nice catch Ben!

Fish Whisperer said...

Ben, nothing like fishing when you should be working. Nice fish.
On the GT's being tired, you bet they are. you should see the other picture of rosie holding it as she is wiped out also. That said as soon as you get them in the water they take off like a rocket. If the fight is really long then I put a saltwater hose in their mouth while I take the hooks out and then swim them with the boat in gear.
Tight lines

Ben said...

Cool, thanks for answering my question. I can't imagine catching fish that big! (The biggest fish I ever caught was an 5 kg channel catfish.)